Thursday, August 19, 2010

Illinois Specific Bar Essays (IEE's)

I miss my old haunts. . .
Unlike California, Illinois seems to keep information about their bar exam "close to the vest."  Thus, I drove through the tall cornfields and country roads to visit the law library at Northern Illinois University School of Law on a day when 4,000 students were moving into the student halls and the police were advising against using the main thoroughfare, Annie Gliden road.

When I arrived, one of the Deans showed me to the library, an out-of-stater dressed in blue jeans, starched white shirt and "cowboy" boots, he wondered about me.  I suspect that I was wearing the patina of California. . .

The students at the reference desk of the library were generous; when I asked if they had any bar exam materials on file, a student emerged with a huge box labeled "Bar 101."  And, there inside were 20 years of Illinois specific bar exams of which I now have February 2003 through February 2010 included, sans the model answers.  Perhaps Illinois has a "Recorder" equivalent that publishes the answers?  Or, perhaps I will have to break down and purchase these from July exam passers. . .but at least I have a running start. . .

Although I looked older, and different, I felt welcomed by the Dean and the students and think that this library might be a place for me to call home as I focus on yet another bar exam. . .proceeding with Plan B.

3 comments:

Pete said...

I am a repeater and in the early stages of creating a blog (see passingthebarexam.blogspot.com) I am older (58)and graduated from law school in 2004. I did not pass Nevada but now thinking about California in February 2011. Any words of wisdom you or your readers can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Pete

Change of Venue said...

Hi, Pete:

I would advise taking the California bar exam in July; the scaling appears to be more lenient since there are more first-timers taking the exam. To approach this exam, I would:

1) Do a minimum of 2,000 MBE's and develop a journal of each answer that I got wrong for each subject. Do 33 MBE's per day under timed conditions. Regularly review your journals.

2) Review essay exams over the past ten years, student and model answers from the Recorder (see side bar to this blog). Write 50 to 60 essay exams in timed conditions. Get a study partner who writes well and ask for critical feedback. Formally outline the remaining answers.

3) Analyze the past 10 years of PT's, write 12 under timed conditions, but do this closer to the scheduled exam.

As it relates to MBE's, do Bar Bri questions, all the questions in Strategies and Tactics (most recent issues) and possibly PMBR. Read the tips in S&T; they are fantastic! Purchase materials on Craig's list, Amazon and/or e-bay at reduced prices. Some people swear by and have great success with MicroMash and Adaptibar; I, myself, need to work the questions manually.

I'm using the same approach for the IL Bar exam, and as of this weekend, will be practicing 33 MBE's per day, 6-days per week, to keep my skills sharp. My goal is to have another 2,500 MBE's achieved prior to this next exam.

I prefer ExamSoft which, thankfully, is very available in California.

Last, join the California Repeater's Group (see Cal Bar links on the side bar) and check out the blog, "The Life and Times of a Future California Attorney" for great tips, discounts and preferred bar materials and tutors.

Good luck!

Christina said...

I just signed up for the Illinois bar exam and am wondering where to obtain Barbri materials or any Illinois materials for that matter, for the bar exam. I have seen several ads requesting $1000 for a set. As I lost my job, I don't have that much to spend. I just took the CA bar exam for the second time and Illinois is my backup plan. Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Christina