Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tips for Preparing for the California Bar Exam

Having received some inquiries related to the above, I'll attempt to summarize my tips:

Background:

The California Bar exam is heavily weighted towards the written portion of the exam and counts for 65% of the overall score.  Each PT (performance exam) counts for two essays; there are 6 essays in all and 2 PT's.

The MBE portion of the exam counts for 35% of the scaled score.

Day 1 and Day 3 consists of 3 essays in the morning, and one PT in the afternoon.  Day 2 consists solely of the MBE's; 100 questions in the morning and 100 questions in the afternoon.

MBE's

Read Strategies and Tactics by Walton after tackling at least 500 Bar Bri or PMBR MBE's.  S&T provides insights into what the examiners are testing and ACTUAL bar exam questions.  (See sidebar on blog.)

Do the on-line NCBE questions.  You can purchase two sets of 100 questions for $26.00 each and the license is good for one year. (See sidebar on blog.)

Do a minimum of 2,000 MBE's and track the rule statements and trigger facts from missed questions.

If you can afford it, sign up to Adaptibar or MicroMash.  Discounts are available on the blog, "The Life and Times of a Future California Attorney."  (See sidebar -- "Blogs I follow.")
 
Essays and PT's

Download ten years of essays from State Bar of California and every model Recorder answer available.  (See sidebar on blog.)  Formally outline at least 60, if not all exams.  Write another 60 exams under timed conditions.  (Adachi's Bar Breaker series also provides great insights to the exam and suggests writing 100 essays as preparation for the bar exam.)

Develop rule statements to use for your own outlines by subject.

Critically analyze your strengths and weaknesses and, if possible, get a tutor to provide critical feedback.

Focus on agency, partnership and corporations.  It seems that California is placing more emphasis on these areas and be well versed in Civil Procedure (Fed and Cal).

Walking into the Exam

If you follow these simple tips, you should feel prepared to take the exam.  At exam time, controlling anxiety, managing sleep, managing life . . .all can interfere with exam performance . . .

I am following these same, simple steps to prepare for the Illinois Bar exam and learning new law by breaking down the NCBE essays.  California does not test on negotiable instruments and secured transactions, administrative law, or state constitutional law.

3 comments:

flyinglowundertheradar said...

Thanks for the tips -- I think this might be giving me a panic attack lol. I started reviewing the multistate topics at the end of July, and I'm still working my way through those, but I'm also doing PMBR questions at the same time. Its been 7 years since I've studied for a bar exam, so getting the rules of law down again has been a bit slow going, but I'm getting there. I'm not sure at what point I should start outlining past CA essay exams, though I'm guessing sooner rather than later, yes?

Change of Venue said...

Hi, Michelle -

I'd keep on the path that you are on until October and then begin the essay breakdown, outlining and writing. Good luck!

flyinglowundertheradar said...

My hope is to get my substantive review done sometime in October, and then to just focus on MBE questions and the essays. I glanced at the CA essay questions and they're pretty much equivalent to what was on the NY bar. Granted its been 10 years since I sat for the NY bar, but hopefully the experience gives me some sort of advantage.