Sunday, December 19, 2010

Getting a Job with a J.D. and No Law License

I've been asked to expound on the subject of securing gainful employment in the Golden State.  My nuggets of wisdom are simple and they originate from my career as a corporate manager, a manager who hired and supervised a team of employees as large as 35 and as small as a team of 6 people. I applied my experience to my job search strategy, but I also realized that a resume of an MBA does not work in the legal arena.  In business, one may leave out certain "elements" on one's resume to get one's foot in the door and explain these elements at the interview.  So, perhaps one would leave off an undergraduate education which reveals one's age.  But, I have been advised against this on my legal resume.  So, in the two years since graduating from law school, I have done the following:

  1. I visited my law school career center to gain advice on re-crafting my resume for the legal arena and to seek advice as to how to become employed
  2. Because I had limited legal experience, I was advised to place my education first and foremost on page 1 of my resume, together with any honors and dean's list achievements
  3. I divided my resume into "Legal Experience" and "Business Experience," placing business experience on the second page
  4. As I gained experience in the Legal arena, I moved my education to the second page, at the end, to better highlight my legal skills
  5. I gained experience by working for free.  I volunteered at a legal aide clinic for 9-months, while doing contract work.  This turned into a special commendation from the clinic for my work.
  6. I began my own business doing legal research and writing, on a contract basis.
  7. I posted ads in local law libraries concerning my services.
  8. And printed business cards with my business name, and title "Paralegal/J.D./M.B.A."
  9. And I invested in a FAX line, 3-way printer (scanner/fax/copy machine), and some judicial form software
  10. Finally, I attended a paralegal certificate program to remarket my skills as a paralegal and to gain practical legal training.
Two months out of law school (and laid off during a corporate reorganization), I had secured a volunteer position.  I began sending out my resume to law school postings and had an interview for a paralegal position with a lawyer who was handling a capital murder criminal defense trial and another lawyer, a solo practitioner, who was desperate for help.  When asked by the criminal defense lawyer if criminal law was my passion, I answered honestly, "No."  Reflecting back, I would have answered differently today and replied that the law was my passion, and that I would work passionately toward the client's defense. 

As it related to the solo, I said, "I have no experience.  I'm fresh out of law school.  But, I will set-aside your default judgment for free.  If you like my work, we can cut a deal."

There was a dead silence on the phone. 

"For free?"

"Yes."

When I returned home, the solo had sent 150 pages of client files to me.  It was Friday night and the motion had to be filed on Monday.  After reading the files, I realized that the two defendants stood little chance of winning.  But, I set about doing the research and I found a loophole in the law.

I called the lawyer and shared my opinion of his case and the angle that I wanted to argue.  He agreed.  By Sunday night, after conferring with the solo and his clients, I had the motion written.  I called the solo and said, "Your motion is on the way.  I'm going to yoga.  Don't call me for a few hours."

When I returned home from yoga, the solo called. "I changed four words in your motion and will file it on Monday."  We won the case for one of the two defendants a week later.

The following week, the attorney retained me as an independent contractor at a fair market rate.

After gaining experience with the solo, including a winning respondent's brief for the California Court of Appeals, I parlayed this and the volunteer experience into more opportunities.  I've worked for as little as $15.00 per hour and for as much as $40.00 per hour.  And, I've done administrative jobs and jobs where I've performed as an Associate at minimum rates. 

As for seeking out opportunities, on a daily basis, I review my job agents on various web sites like careerbuilder, etc., and I review Craig's list.  I maintain social media web sites to carefully market my skills, but set the privacy levels high.  And, I found one job via facebook which, despite its founder being Time's Man of the Year, I find ominous.  The networking I do there is limited as I have read many cases about job applicants being denied a job because of facebook postings.

Today, I am rich in legal experience and my cupboards are bare. Had I passed the California Bar Exam, which I now know is within my reach, I would have set up a solo practice while doing contract work as an attorney.  In the interim, I shall continue to parlay my legal experience into new opportunities while I continue to craft my exam-taking abilities.  For as it relates to the exam, its a game - part skill, part luck - mostly skill.  Play the game to win by understanding the game itself.  Here's to winning the game and to restocking my cupboards, for the journey to becoming an attorney has been at a great expense.

2 comments:

flyinglowundertheradar said...

So what I take from your response, is that if I play my cards right, I *should* be able to secure some sort of employment even before I'm licensed in CA? I'm looking to stay in criminal defense, as I have 8 years experience there, and I've been practicing for 10 years now. My biggest worry after the bar exam is finding a job, but since I'm not from CA, I wouldn't feel secure in opening my own practice right off the bat. Corporate really isn't much of an option for me as I have no background there, and I love being a trial lawyer and want to continue as such.

Change of Venue said...

I have been able to secure work without a license, but as a paralegal. Given your extensive and licensed background, I would presume that a licensed California attorney could take you in as an Associate in a law firm, preliminary to your passing the California Bar exam, but supervise your work to the extent required by the law. Given my business training, if I had your legal experience, I would probably send out a targeted letter to law firms and/or PD offices announcing my background in an attempt to ascertain interest preliminary to taking the bar exam. If you pass the bar exam, you can follow-up with these firms. If not, you can shoot for the July bar exam, and if you are contacted, share your results and your goal to pass, undaunted by your prior results. Given your background, I am in awe of your experiences.