Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Musings

What is it about passing the California Bar exam that drives people to literally "go for broke," people like Paulina Bandy, people like me?  I've pondered this question a great deal during the past few weeks, having learned that I, and for the second time, did not receive passing scores on the July 2010 exam. Until I received my scores, I spent a few weeks in deep depression, wondering if I would ever be able to "come out to the other side," into a life with rainbows, a life of normalcy. . .

And, when I did receive my scores, I was elated!  I soared over my February 2009 results, shocking not only myself but my tutor and law school Dean.  My scores were so close to passing that it makes me believe that I CAN succeed at passing the California bar exam.

Since arriving in Illinois, I discovered another bar to achieving gainful employment.  What law firm or corporate legal department values a gal with training in California law?  Moreover, there seems to be a stigma against Californians.

But, now life has gotten in the way, or has it?

Yesterday, on my way to Court, my front tire went flat. I called Roadside Assistance to change the tire, and found a family run business to fix my tire. It's good that this happened "at home," rather than on the road. I've scheduled a 21-point oil change next week with this family; they've pledged to take good care of my car to help point me in a westerly direction.


I have a 2,300 mile cross-country trip planned along U.S. Hwy 40, from Illinois to California, and enough money saved for gas.  But, I have to scrape more together for tolls, hotels and food.

I have a place to live, in the short-term, with an attorney friend and mentor, upon my return.

And, I have been invited to take a written exam for a court-related position in California next week, and will possibly interview with a law firm the same day.  I cashed in my frequent flyer miles to do a trip to San Francisco and back so that I could spend the holidays with my ailing mother and Dog.  I'll be staying with a friend in the City, and taking public transportation to get around.

My study partner, also within spitting distance of passing, signed up for the Feb. 2011 bar exam, but he has gone "underground."  He needs me; frankly I need him, too.  For, in between shredding papers amassed in Illinois, and further minimizing my belongings, I have now reviewed various subjects in preparation to retake the exam.  A cousin has agreed to pay the admission fee, and I have contract work lined up upon my return to the Golden State.

And a cross-country drive currently scheduled for 12/27.

True to plan, I am studying the subjects for the Bar exam in the following order:  1) Torts, 2) Criminal Law & Procedure, 3) Evidence, 4) Contracts & Sales, 5) Con Law, 6) Real Property, 7) Civ Pro, 8) PR, 9) Community Property, 10) Wills & Trusts, 11) Business Associations and Agency, and 12) Remedies.  Of course, I will review California Evidence and Civ Pro, too. 

A friend of mine shared his IPOD with me to listen to lectures, and I am using Bar Passer's visual summary charts (see their link under California Bar Exam) to hand-record my notes.  I already have transcribed PMBR lectures which I find helpful for most, but not all, of the subjects.

Finally, I am using PMBR questions from the 6-day course to practice for the MBE (33 questions per day) and continuing to journal, but I am refining my recordation of the "trigger facts."  PMBR, while highly criticized by many, is refining my knowledge of the black letter law and its application.  "Application" is the operative word.

It's going to be a long journey home to the Golden State, accompanied by a lecturer hammering out the subjects . . .

Pray that Congress passes the federal extension to unemployment.  I am one of the 2 Million unemployed who has been aggressively seeking work.  I am operating on thin margins, and no longer have a safety net. . .

Ah, but life is an adventure, no?  And, I am a gusty gal.

1 comment:

flyinglowundertheradar said...

So you're sitting for the Feb 2011 exam?? That's great that things are coming together to make it possible!! You were very close this past time, so I'm sure you can pull it off. Your advice has been so valuable to me -- I'm still freaked out by the exam, but I'm hoping to find it manageable. Also, how does one get hired in CA without being a member of the bar?? I'm going to start job hunting after the exam and keep my fingers crossed for good results.