Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Power of Intention

This morning, I awakened early to continue to pack my belongings and to furtively clean my apartment in anticipation of a "walk-through." On one hand, since I will be renting a room from a friend, I am happy to embrace our friendship, share stories and laundry detergent. But, I have been dreading the process of moving - most of my belongings are packed, and the rest are slated for storage - still, more packing must be done and then there is the need to rent a truck, organize a crew, and unload my belongings at a storage facility. It has taken much self-talk to push myself to do this. On the other hand, downsizing, selling my belongings, living lean is freeing.

Last evening, I began to watch Dr. Dyer's "Power of Intention" on PBS (see sidebar). I've always found him motivating. After watching his message, I felt connected to something greater than myself. I am not religious. I suppose that I would call myself loosely spiritual. I listened to his message again, this morning, while I was scouring the bathtub, cleaning out the refrigerator, and packing more boxes.

If I changed my attitude and believed that everything that I want (that is good, and just and fair) will come to me, perhaps this is what will occur. And, what occurred after changing my attitude is so unusual that I have decided to write to you - the anonymous and silent reader - about it.

Having an injury, I have been working with a yoga practitioner. Last week I informed her that due to “economic circumstances,” I can no longer afford to practice with her. She has been instrumental in my healing and I regret not being able to take her classes. But, this morning she called me and offered me a trade - my marketing services for yoga classes – and I accepted.

And, the cable company reduced my internet costs by 50%, so necessary to my business.

I sent out a list of belongings for sale to my friends and sold them within an hour.

And, a friend graciously volunteered to help me move (when I was afraid to ask).

And, a former employer volunteered to write a letter of recommendation (and I never approached her with this request.)

It occurred to me that we - as bar exam takers - should approach the bar exam with the intention to SUCCEED at passing the exam, replacing our old self-talk which expressed fear about our own abilities, and dread about actually taking the exam, with JOY. Yes, the JOY that comes with passing…The pure joy that comes with securing a license to practice the law.

For another part of Dyer's message that resonated with me is that we have a purpose to life, a purpose to serve. And, it is this purpose that drives me (not money, or power or fame) to want to be an attorney. (I am still an idealist, even though I am also a beaten down corporate escapee who knows the ways of the business world.)

And, to serve, I shall commit myself to ENJOY the process of studying the law again with the intent to PASS the California bar exam (when I take it in Feb. 2010). And, I believe that the power of my intention together with my commitment to study for the exam with a better understanding about how to meet the standards of the bar examiners, will see me with my license in hand next June 2010.

I look forward to walking down the aisle to be sworn in, and maybe, just maybe, I'll walk down another aisle carrying Calla lilies and dressed in a femme fatale satin wedding dress. Did I mention that I was single? :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post. I too generally like Dyer. I sometimes think he is a bit too interested in the money, since he puts out a special and a new book each year or two, but they all seem to be helpful. If one is able to help so many people, then one should be rewarded financially.