Thursday, June 4, 2009

Solo Paralegal

About one year ago, after leaving my corporate profession, I had to learn how to package my legal skills on a resume. The resume format for a potential lawyer is different than that of an M.B.A. so it took some getting used to. After working with some career counselors from my law school, I "field tested" my resume with practicing attorneys and recruiters and then set out on a path to seek employment as a paralegal.

About two months into this process, and after applying to many paralegal positions, I received two responses during the same day.

One of the interviews was solely on the telephone and it began like this...

"Have you ever done electronic filings in federal court?"

"No."

"Have you ever set aside a default judgment?"

"No."

"Have you ever written a motion to modify child visitation?"

"No."

(I was wondering when he'd ask, "Well, then, what good are you?")

I had to beg off the interview since it was unscheduled and I was enroute to another interview at that time.

After the other interview, I called the attorney back and said, "I've never set aside a default judgment, but, I'll write your motion for free. If you like my work, we can talk a business deal."

"For free?" he asked, skeptically.

"Yes, for free."

"OK. I have to have the motion by Sunday night." (Note, it was Friday afternoon!)

Little did I know that when I returned home, my in-box was exploding with client files. I printed the 150 pages of paper, sat down with expresso (!) and began reading.

By the wee hours on Saturday, I wondered what I had signed up for. But, I headed off to the law library to do research and carried cases home for later consumption.

I realized mid-way that the statute of limitations had expired, and there was only a slim chance that we would overturn the default.

But, twenty hours later, I had a persuasive argument and sent my final motion to the attorney.

I waited expectantly (sort of like waiting for bar exam results) and with butterflies in my stomach.

"I changed four words," he said. He filed the motion that Monday morning.

And, we won the case.

It occurred to me that it is this same entrepreneurial thinking and drive that will help me pass the bar, next time. I can't wait to create a post entitled, "Solo Practitioner hangs out shingle" but I am very grateful for this first opportunity as a solo paralegal in my virtual office. I have gained valuable experience through this apprenticeship, experience that will help my clients when I am a licensed attorney.

No comments: