Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Things that My Mother Told Me

Two days ago, I called my mother (now rather old and frail), and said, "Mom, I can't do this. I am nearly destitute and although I'm working a temporary job, I'm out of resources. I've applied my wit and skills toward financial survival and I am facing possible eviction from my room, even though the rent is paid, but paid late."

"Mom, I simply can't do this anymore!!"

And, she said the following:

"What do you mean you CAN'T do this? You have worked long and hard to attend law school. You graduated after five long years, all the while balancing school with a full-time and stressful job."

"You have been diligently studying for the bar exam since mid-March. You are making great progress. You may have more preparation to go; you've budgeted the time to do this."

"You borrowed money to pay exam fees. You've been living for this moment. You've been living to be an attorney for the past six years of your life!"

"You CAN do this! You have two months to weather this storm - two, short months - and then, who cares? Then you can singulary focus on regrouping, paying the bills, and living. But for now, just focus on passing that bar exam!"

I needed to hear this. Her words put all my efforts and my struggle to survive into perspective. Eight and 1/2 weeks away from the exam, my life seems like a screen play, with all things coming to an end, and with a new beginning.

No comments: