Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Dog with a Bone

At this point, in preparing for my second “go-round” at the California Bar Exam, I am realizing that this is a game and the object is to play the game well. And, that’s all. . .the exam is NOT a reflection of real ability – it’s a reflection of test-taking skill, pure and simple.

In the past, to take a standardized exam, I studied the exam itself and what it took to pass. I practiced every day, after learning the substantive material. I assessed my weakness and strengths. I studied daily. And, while I never “aced” an exam, I went in prepared, and with confidence and I received passing results.

I failed to lend credence to my past study techniques with the February 2009 bar exam. Instead, I believed that if I passed the exam, it would be by the “skin of my teeth.” Inwardly, I believed that I could not pass the exam. Outwardly, I seemed self-confident.

I studied diligently for my first attempt at the bar exam. Every week from October 2008 through February 2009, I met with my study partner at least once per week and we discussed the substantive material, coaching each other in areas where we were weak and the other was strong. We immersed ourselves in the 6-day PMBR. We took Bar Bri’s Essay Advantage for the Performance Test. We wrote 36 essays, 4 performance tests, and did about 800 MBE’s. But, we spread ourselves too thin. By the time the actual exam rolled along, we were both exhausted. And, we were also ill advised by at least some of the “experts.” We tried a 7-day memorization system, a system that we both concluded had spun us off course so close to the actual exam. My back “gave out” from too much sitting and too little sleep. My stomach revolted and Prilosec became my best friend.

My conclusion? No one has a magic bullet for passing the bar exam. You need a good motivator who will provide critical feedback on essay exams and help you devise a study schedule that is tailored to you – no mass market approach. The rest is really up to you.

What helped me pass the MPRE (after two prior attempts) was a different attitude and a different study technique. After doing a brief review of the material, I put away the ethical code and focused ONLY on doing the practice questions. I walked in with confidence. I knew the game and how to play it.

I am taking this same approach for the July bar exam. Now, do I have the time to do all I want to do to unravel the actual bar questions and MBE’s beforehand – I’m making good progress with more to go but life is getting in the way. “Going for broke,” is more than a euphemism. But, I’m like a dog with a bone. . .I’m not letting go. . .I CAN play this game.

No comments: