Friday, July 16, 2010

In Honor of My Father

In 2004, I rode 50 miles on my Specialized to raise money in honor of my father, who was living at the time, to fund research for his rare form of cancer.  At that time, I was recovering from a frozen shoulder using traditional medicine and Qui Gong, a chinese healing practice.  I studied with a Qui Gong master and intuitive healer and she did much to restore both my body and soul.

In 2006, my father died at home.  He died a painful death, mitigated by liquid morphine administered by Hospice.  An architect, Dad lost his mental reasoning two days prior to his death, but, true to his passion and to his genius, he drew new designs and ordered his daughters to run blueprints out to non-existent jobs.  My father was a great man, and a flawed man.  I know no people who are not flawed in some way, including me.  We are human.

But, at this juncture in my life, I wish that my father were here to cheer me on.  To say, "I know that you can do this.  You have weathered the storms of life and yet you are still persisting to achive your dreams."

For, you see, I come from a family of artists and I was raised to believe in dreams and to believe that my dreams could be achieved through diligence, persistence, and hard work. 

Dad, I am doing my best to achieve my dreams. I dedicate the July 2010 bar exam and my efforts to you, in your honor. I hope to do you proud.

No comments: