Sunday, July 18, 2010

Modeling the Answers

As of yesterday, I have written 37 essays (11 short of my goal of 48), and outlined another 58, with a goal of 72 (14 short of my goal).  My goal was to strategically exam 120 essays by end of week, seeking the common and the rare issues tested.

I have organized 3 three ring binders of essay exams across all subject areas, with a Table of Contents (to keep me on track), the student answers, my answer or outline, and the model answer from The Recorder (where available on-line.)

I keep Convisor and my tutor's book at hand, and any rule that I fail to thoroughly understand is read, written down and red lined in my essay or outline.  The past two days, I have been concentrating on Wills and Trusts because there are many different rules that have been tested; I want to chart and understand each of these.  Not a fan of "curve balls," I want to be ready for the usual "pitches" thrown out by the examiners, to swing my bat, and to hit it out of the park.  Game on, baby!

Because many student answers are incorrect concerning the rule of law (while many are correct and eloquently answered), I am incorporating the model answers published in "The Recorder" into my review.  These answers, while probably unachievable on the actual bar exam when the "rubber meets the road," are interesting to reveal the finer points of the law, and sometimes to confirm my conclusions which may vary substantially from the student's model answers selected by the bar examiners.

To be selected as model student answers published by the California State Bar, it is my understanding that each answer achieve an 80 score or better, and that the examinee be a bar passer.

See link on the side bar of this blog to the model answers as well as a link to past exams published by the State Bar.

No comments: