Thursday, July 22, 2010

Under a Spell

Some nights, awakened by dreams . . . dreams of being an attorney . . . dreams of resuming my life . . . dreams of finding love . . . I find myself unable to sleep.

Someone gave me recordings from a hypnotist who prepares bar examinees for the California bar exam . . . I find myself regularly listening to the soothing sounds of an old man telling me, in the middle of the night, that I will be “cool, calm and collected” when I sit for the exam and that I am to whisper “memory, recall . . . memory, recall” to stimulate my subconscious to disgorge the black letter law.

I envision myself clicking ruby red high heels together and saying, “Auntie Em, I am cool, calm and collected and I am going pass this exam!”

I’ll call upon my subconscious to bring forward the arcane points of law so necessary to answer a MBE or to add to an essay. . .

And, I’ll have fun with the PT’s, my opportunity to apply my creativity – pure joy of expression within a legal framework . . .

So, if you, too, sometimes feel stymied,

If you feel that you are falling down a rabbit hole,

click your ruby shoes together and call upon your memory . . .

proceed with calm. . .

be collected. . .

and confident in yourself…

and play the game to win!

After the exam, I am, with deep regrets, leaving this great state of California. “Auntie Em, there’s no place like home!” But, my heart will be here in California and my hope will be to return. . .because I was a California girl all along. . .and I fit here.

P.S. If you see a tall blonde with ruby heels at the bar exam, you'll know that it's me!

No comments: