Sunday, June 13, 2010

One Hundred Ways to a Passing Score

I dropped off my last case files to an attorney whom I have been supporting, part-time,for nearly one year and saw the nearly 70 year old lawyer, who works down the hall, walk into his office.

“Hello,” he said.

“Hello!”

“How are you?”

“I’m taking the July bar exam.” (When did this become a surrogate for "I'm fine"?)

“Ahhhh. . .is this your first-time?”

“No. Second.”

“Ah huh. . .well, here’s my advice. The law is a jealous woman; she must always take first place in your life, particularly as it relates to the bar exam. I took the bar exam three times before passing. Do you want to know how I passed?”

“Yes, absolutely!”

“I wrote 100 essay exams.”

“One hundred!?”

“Yes. 100! You see, one of my attorney friends was a grader for the California bar exam. He said, “If you want to pass, you’ll write 100 exams.”

“The second time, I wrote lots of exams, but the other exams I simply outlined. It didn’t work. But, on my last try, I wrote 100 exams, and I started to see patterns. Around 60 or so exams, something clicked. (The lawyer turned on an imaginary knob to emphasize his point.) And, when I took the bar exam, for the 3rd time, one of the essays was nearly an exact replica of an exam that I had written, and I passed the exam. I shared this tip with another repeater, a young woman, and I gave her the same advice. She wrote 100 exams as practice for the bar exam and she passed.”

“100 exams? One-hundred?”

“Yes, write 100 exams and you will pass the bar exam.”

This attorney’s advice is consistent with Jeff Adachi’s advice, the D.A. who wrote “Bar Breakers.”

I thought about this on my drive back from the attorney’s office . . . I’ve formally outlined, in MS Word, 30 exams to date, and written 13. I had set my goal at writing 48 exams and outlining 72, now I wonder if I can increase my goal of writing essays to a new high. Can I raise the bar?

No comments: