Sunday, June 6, 2010

Something Clicked

Now, after doing 1,518 MBE's (with a target of 2,250 minimum), something has clicked. I had reached a mental block. Although I painstakenly journaled each question that I got wrong, the trigger facts, and the elements of the rule, I was unable to understand why I was still getting things wrong. This hit home with last weekend's mock bar exam. So, I decided to read each subject chapter of Strategies and Tactics (see MBE links) and then to do 33 questions immediately afterwards. Now, after having completed Evidence, Con Law, Crim Law/Pro and Torts, something "clicked." You know how that feels - it's that "ah ha" moment when one asks, "Is that all there is to it? Is it really that simple?"

Now, I don't want to minimize the difficult of the MBE. What I do want to say is that my scores have jumped from 55% to 68% in one big leap for womankind. Had I begun with Strategies and Tactics before journaling, I'm not sure that the book would have been as effective. But, now having practiced, and have drilled elemental law into the nureons of my brain, Strategies and Tactics has been that fine-edged tool to surgically address the reasons WHY I have not been succeeding and has lead to a significant increase in my scores.

And, I have found a new "companion," having taken PMBR's 6-day course in 2008, I have their MulitState grey book, an outline of all the rules tested on the MBE. This is a book that I simply shelved away; now I consider it one of my best resources. The book gets down to the brass tacks; I can see the rules - and their finer points - and compare the questions that I missed to PMBR's book, which has only lead to another "ah ha!" moment.

I feel as though I've climbed up another level in my bar exam preparation and am looking down the mountain, half-way up, with some pride about making this climb. Seven weeks to go. Real Property today, Contracts tommorrow and one written essay per day for the next seven days before I take a 2-week assignment for an attorney. A girl has got to eat. . .

No comments: