Saturday, May 16, 2009

Lady in Waiting

It has now been about five hours since I, and repeatedly, input my application and file number into the California Bar exam web site. At first glance, I was sure that the state bar had made a mistake, however, I printed the evidence; it is now sitting nearby, in black and white, and not on some vacuous screen.

I called my bar exam tutor (who was surprised by my 9:00 a.m. call) who said, "Well, sometimes they make mistakes."

"How often?" I asked.

"I can't say how often but it is not uncommon. You should wait until you get your scores through the mail."

Regardless, I think that the probability of error is very, very low. I do not want to hold out a thin thread of hope, a fictitious life-line.

I'd like to know now my scores now - not days from now - so that I can begun to diagnose my areas of strength and weakness and map out my strategy for the next exam. And, while I stared at the words, "applicant's name is not on the pass list," early this morning, I had resolved not to retake the exam and fell, Alice-in-Wonderland like, into a pool of tears. But, then, a new feeling overtook me, one of resolving to win, and not to fail. I think that I should begin by swimming . . .

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.