Saturday, May 23, 2009

Tough Love

In my search to develop a new plan to study for the bar exam, I interviewed (or shall I say that I was interviewed by?) a private tutor. "Get over the grief!," she said. And added, "clearly you don't know the substantive law" an "insight" which shows her broad-stroke diagnosis which I could get from the commentary on various bar exam blogs. If her tough love did anything, it mad me angry, which may have been her intent. And, anger is better than depression, I'll give her that. But, I'm not interested in a drill sargent who then adds, "I have an L.D. and I did the exam without accomodations!" Bully for you! I didn't know that we were in a pissing match.

I also met with an academic from my ABA school. This love was not soft, not tough, but somewhere in between. "We've got some work to do...we just have to learn to reset your thinking about the exam. The bar graders are simply seeking common sense analysis of the facts. So, if you don't know or remember a rule, don't avoid the issue. Write a rule and develop an analysis around it." This advice was echoed in one of the bar grader interviews (see Interesting Links on my sidebar.) Well, THIS is something that I can do! Now, instead of being daunted by repeating the exam, I am actually EXCITED!

But I was also amazed by one story this academic told me. He said that one of the students was so despondent at failing the exam that his family and friends are highly concerned about him. This man said to me, "You have your life experiences going for you. You can put your failing this exam into perspective but some of the younger bar takers have never failed before." Yes, I have read some of the blogs and some of the exam takers threats of suicide. Failing the bar exam is not something to lose one's life over; it's a challenge, albeit a daunting challenge. But, as my Mom says, "If the horse throws you, get back in that saddle again and ride!" Mom is a veteran horsewoman, beginning with her old Mustang "King" who liked "Orange Crush" and galloping across the fields.

Or as my Dad, now deceased, would probably say, "Daughter, you are intelligent. No, you are brillant. There's no reason that you can't do this. I support you 100% of the way."

P.S. I got the legal marketing position!

3 comments:

BarNuts said...

As to the tough love. I think you are in the best hands with your professor. Too many of these bar review outfits are overpriced and fail to follow through. Furthermore, they should allow for a payment plan if they insist on charging these almost unconscionable prices. I have taken the bar exam numerous times and finally got a tutor. I got references and I pray this person is legitimate. I am licensed in another state and having an outrageous time of getting past the beast called the CA bar exam.

There is NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU. I contend that many of these bar tutors have a screw loose and an overinflated idea of their self worth. They should be regulated by the bar.

Get references on your tutor and go with the person you trust. There is no need for these tutors to be abusive to their clients. And believe me, there are plenty of abusive tutors out there. They know they are abusive, but too busy justifying why they breached their contracts and why it is the customer's fault and not theirs.

BarNuts said...

I just realized something. Is your professor also a bar tutor? Because I think I might be signed up with him. Wouldn't that be something?

Change of Venue said...

Dear Scales:

Thank you for your encouraging comments. I admit that after speaking with the private tutor, I cried. But, then I went on a slow burn to being angry by end of day and I realized that this person is no expert. The academic that I am seeing is a general guide and not a private tutor and will help me to diagnose what went wrong during my exam. However, I am seeking out a private tutor (while trying to find financing on my now meager wage) and am in the process of interviewing tutors and collecting references. I think that repeaters need to rise up and take control of this lucrative market and develop a rating service of review courses and tutors alike since the state bar does not seem to be picking up the reins.

Thank you, again, for your comments. Your persistence and private tutor should pay off!