Sunday, May 17, 2009

Digging Too Deep?

This past week, I received an e-mail from a friend who attended law school. My friend failed the California bar exam four times, her boyfriend broke up with her, and she is financially destitute due to her investment in school and bar exam preparation. I called her, shortly afterwards, and proposed that we have dinner together, my treat. She said that well wishes, gifts, and information has been coming her way, and that she is amazed by the generosity of her friends and friends of friends.

As to the bar exam, she no longer wants to speak of it, so, when she causually mentioned (out of sheer politeness) that exam results must be available, I just as causually mentioned that I had also failed my first time out. She had no advice except to say that she missed passing by 3 points her second try and that her performance varied. The first exam she "rocked" the MBE's, while the second exam, she excelled on her essay performance.

If I have any observations, they are that she is very intelligent and very analytic. She does not have a superficial view of the law, but her understanding of it is deep. She is detailed oriented. Her deeply analytic nature is similar to mine; reflecting back, perhaps I, too, dug too deep instead of gaining the broad brush strokes of the law.

The bar examiners draw out this process, one drop of information at a time, chinese water torture. Please tell me where I went wrong and what I need to do. I have one, overarching goal - I want to be an attorney!

No comments: